Jan Nowak Family Research – Version I
I would like to update my summary of the records that I’ve found so far, for Jan Nowak and Justyna Robaszewska (my 4x great grandparents). All the records are from the Kujawy area of Poland. The present day locations are in Gmina Zakrzewo and Gmina Dobre, which are within Kujawsko-Pomorskie Province. The information is derived from the listed records below.
- Marriage of Jan Nowak and Justyna Robaszewska (1824)
- Baptism of Bartlomiej Nowak (1825)
- Baptism of Franciszek Nowak (1827)
- Baptism of Marianna Nowak (1834)
- Death of Mateusz Nowak (1834)
- Baptism of Elzbieta Nowak (1837)
- Baptism of Mateusz Nowak (1841)
- Marriage of Jakob Cieslakiewicz and Elzbieta Nowak (1856)
- Marriage of Balcer Derenda and Marianna Nowak (1856)
- Marriage of Jan Nowak and Agnieszka Jedrzejczak (1858)
- Baptism of Marcianna Nowak (1859)
- Marriage of Mateusz Nowak and Maryanna Pankowska (1862)
- Marriage of Franciszek Malkowski and Marcianna Nowak (1875)
- Death of Mateusz Nowak (1880)
- Death of Jan Nowak (1883)
- Franciszek Malkowski – Sedzin Inhabitant Registers
All of the records above came from the Byczyna Parish, Straszewo Parish, Siniarzewo Parish, Krzywosądz Parish, or the Sędzin Parish. The records are taken from the LDS films, Meldunkowe section of the Genealodzy.pl website, Szukajwarchiwach.pl website, and/or the Genealogy in Archives website.
Jan Nowak was born in the village of Przysbysław (1) – Chlewiska Parish – Prussia, to his parents Antoni and Agnieszka Nowak, sometime between 1796-1802. Antoni and Agnieszka were laborers residing in the village of Przybysław where they raised their family.
Justyna Robaszewska alias Robaszek was born in the village of Bodzanowo (2) – Byczyna Parish – Congress Kingdom of Poland, to her parents Sebastian and Katarzyna Robaszewski, around 1805. Sebastain and Katarzyna were laborers residing in the village of Bodzanowo.
Jan would move to the village of Bodzanowo before 1824, to find work as a farmhand. Justyna was residing with her parents in the village of Bodzanowo. On November 25th, 1824, Jan and Justyna would marry. The couple would remain in the village of Bodzanowo, where they would raise their family. The couple would give birth to their first child, named Bartłomiej, on the 18th of August, 1825, in the village of Bodzanowo. Jan’s brother Feliks was listed as a witness.
Jan and Justyna would give birth to a son, named Franciszek, on the 3rd of September, 1827, in the village of Bodzanowo. The couple would give birth to another son, named Mateusz, in 1829, in the village of Bodzanowo. (Note: There is a birth around 1831-1832 that I cannot find). On October 18th, 1834, the couple gave birth to a daughter, named Marianna, in the village of Bodzanowo. (Note: Józef Tobiasz is listed as a witness – most likely the brother of my 3x great-grandfather Ignacy Tobiasz). Later that year, on August 29th, 1834, their son Mateusz would pass away in the village of Byczyna (3).
On August 20th, 1837, the couple would give birth to a daughter, named Ełżbieta, in the village of Bodzanowo. (Note: There is another gap between births and there may have been one around 1839). By 1841, the couple were residing in the village of Gosławice, where Jan would work as a tenant farmer. On August 17th, 1841, Jan and Justyna would give birth to a son, named Mateusz, in the village of Gosławice (4) – Siniarzewo Parish. (Note: This is the last birth record that I found for the couple).
By 1855-1856, Jan and Justyna moved their family in the village of Zakrzewo (5) – Straszewo Parish. (Note: Check LDS film: 1886795 for any BMD records for the couple between 1839-1856 – The Genealogy in Archive website is missing many of these years).
On January 14th, 1856, the couple’s daughter, Ełżbieta, would marry Jakób Cieślakiewicz, in the village of Zakrzewo. Jakób and Ełżbieta would reside and raise their family in the village of Zakrzewo, where Jakób would farm.
Sometime between January 14th and November 2nd, 1856, Justyna Nowak nee Robaszewska, would die in the village of Łowkowice (6). (Note: Per Jan Nowak’s marriage record in 1858. Łowkowice is located in the Łowiczek Parish – I was unable to find this death record). Jan would move to the village of Krzywosądz (7) – Krzywosądz Parish, where he worked as a shepherd and a laborer.
On November 2nd, 1856, the couple’s daughter, Marianna, would marry Balcer Derenda, in the village of Zakrzewo. Balcer and Marianna would reside and raise their family in the village of Krzywosądz, where Balcer was a farmhand.
On May 9th, 1858, Jan Nowak would remarry. Jan married the widow Agnieszka Karaś nee Jędrzejczak, in the village of Krzywosądz. The couple would reside in the village of Krzywosądz until their deaths. On, January 1st, 1859, Jan and Agnieszka would give birth to a child, named Marcianna, in the village of Krzywosądz.
Jan and Justyna’s son, Mateusz Nowak would marry Marianna Pankowska, in the village of Zakrzewo, on the 21st of September, 1862. The couple would reside in the village of Zakrzewo and raise their family. The couple would have their permanent residence in the village of Zakrzewo, house #14. Mateusz was a farmhand and laborer. Mateusz Nowak would pass away in the village of Zakrzewo, on the 9th of May, 1880.
On October 6th, 1875, Marcianna would marry Franciszek Małkowski, in the village of Krzywosądz. The could would continue to live in the village of Krzywosądz, where Franciszek would work as a workman. The couple would give birth to their children in the village of Krzywosądz. The couple would have their permanent residence in the village of Krzywosądz, house #15.
On June 13th, 1883, Jan Nowak, aged 87, passed away in the village of Krzywosądz. He left behind his widow Agnieszka Nowak nee Jędrzejczak.
Children of Jan and Justyna Nowak nee Robaszewska:
- Bartłomiej Nowak, b. August 18, 1825, d. unknown
- Franciszek Nowak, b. September 3, 1827, d. unknown
- Mateusz Nowak, b. @1829, d. August 29, 1834
- Marianna Nowak, b. October 18, 1834, d. unknown
- Ełżbieta Nowak, b. June 20, 1837, d. unknown
- Mateusz Nowak, b. August 18, 1841, d. May 9, 1880
Children of Jan and Agnieszka Nowak nee Jędrzejczak:
- Marcianna Nowak, b. January 1, 1859, d. unknown
- Przysbysław, Kreis Inowrocław, Westpreussisches Kammer-Departement für den Netzdistrict, Provinz Westpreußen, Königreich Preußen
- Bodzanowo, Powiat Nieszawa, Warszawa Guberinia, Congress Kingdom of Poland
- Byczyna, Powiat Nieszawa, Warszawa Guberinia, Congress Kingdom of Poland
- Gosławice, Powiat Nieszawa, Warszawa Guberinia, Congress Kingdom of Poland
- Zakrzewo, Powiat Nieszawa, Warszawa Guberinia, Congress Kingdom of Poland
- Łowkowice, Powiat Nieszawa, Warszawa Guberinia, Congress Kingdom of Poland
- Krzywosądz, Powiat Nieszawa, Warszawa Guberinia, Congress Kingdom of Poland
The map below is a combination of maps found on the website for Map Archive of Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny: http://english.mapywig.org/news.php. The map below is derived from the following areas: Ciechocinek and Radziejów. I used Photoshop to merge the maps into a panorama of the area where my ancestors were located. The map is not 100% aligned, but it does give a general idea of where villages were located.
The villages with “stars” are the Polish villages that are listed above under “Locations”. Only the locations of Jan and Justyna’s residences are marked with “stars”. The locations of their children are not marked on this map. More information for the villages within this article can be found on the Slownik Geograficzny Translations page on this website: http://www.apagr.com/slownik-geograficzny-translations/
- Search for the baptismal record of Jan Nowak in the Chlewiska Parish – 1796-1802
- Search for the baptismal record of Justyna Robaszewska in the Byczyna Parish – @ 1805
- Find baptism of Mateusz Nowak – Byczyna Parish 1829. This year may also have deaths of Bartłomiej and Franciszek Nowak.
- Search for additional baptisms/deaths between 1832-1833 and 1839-1856 – Straszewo Parish may have records.
- Find the death record of Justyna Nowak nee Robaszewska @ 1856.