Marianna Wozniak nee Tobiasz Family – Research Summary Version 2
I would like to summarize the records that I’ve found so far for Marianna Woźniak nee Tobiasz. All the records are from the Kujawy area of Poland. The present day locations are in Gmina Inowrocław and Gmina Dobre, both within the Kujawsko-Pomorskie Province. The information is derived from the listed records below.
- Baptism of Marianna Tobiasz (1826)
- Marriage of Mateusz Wozniak and Marianna Tobiasz (1849)
- Baptism of Andrzej Wozniak (1850)
- Baptism of Piotr Wozniak (1853)
- Death of Piotr Wozniak (1858)
- Baptism of Jozefa Wozniak (1858)
- Baptism of Bregida Wozniak (1861)
- Baptism of Marianna Wozniak (1863)
- Baptism of Michal Wozniak (1866)
- Baptism of Wawrzyniec Wozniak (1869)
- Death of Mateusz Wozniak (1869)
- Marriage of Andrzej Wozniak and Marianna Jablonska (1874)
- Marriage of Antoni Kepski and Bregida Wozniak (1881)
- Death of Marianna Wozniak (1885)
- Marriage of Michal Wozniak and Ewa Kotas (1892)
- Szymon Juszczynski – Sedzin Inhabitant Registers
- Andrzej Wozniak – Sedzin Inhabitant Registers
- Brygida Kepska – Sedzin Inhabitant Registers
- Michal Wozniak – Sedzin Inhabitant Registers
All of the records above came from the Bronisław Parish, Krzywosądz Parish, or Kruszwica. The records are taken from the LDS films, Meldunkowe section of the Genealodzy.pl website, Szukajwarchiwach.pl website, and/or the Genealogy in Archives website.
Marianna Tobiasz was born in the village of Szrubsk (1), on November 28th, 1826, to her parents Stanisław and Agnieszka Tobiasz nee Buszka, in the Parchanie Parish. Sometime before April 1845, the Stanisław and Agnieszka Tobiasz family moved from the Prussian village of Dulsk (or one the surrounding villages) to the Russian village of Krotoszyn (2).
By 1849, Marianna was residing in the village of Smarglin (3), where she worked as an attendant or maid. On September 9th, 1849, Marianna would marry Mateusz Woźniak in the village of Smarglin, in the Krzywosądz Parish. Marianna’s oldest brother Ignacy was one of the witnesses of the marriage. Mateusz was a farmer and was previously married with children. His first wife Marianna, died earlier in 1849. The newly married couple would reside in the village of Smarglin, where Mateusz would work as a farmer. On November 10th, 1850, the couple would give birth to their first child, who was named Andrzej.
In just over two years, the couple would give birth to their second child. Piotr Woźniak was born on January 30th, 1853, in the village of Smarglin. Marianna’s younger sister Julianna was the Godmother for the baptism.
NOTE: In between the years of 1853 to 1858, the couple most likely gave birth to one child. The baptism was not listed in the Krzywosądz Parish and neither the neighboring parish of Bronisław. I will search the other neighboring parishes of Kobielice and Sędzin to try to locate the missing birth.
In 1858, the couple would experience joys of birth and tragedies of death within days of each other. On July 28th, 1858, the couples second son Piotr died in Smarglin. Two days later, on July 30th, 1858, the couple would give birth to their daughter Józefa.
The beginning of 1861 would add another child to the Woźniak family. On January 31st, 1861, Mateusz and Marriana would give birth to a daughter named Bregida. On December 4th, 1863, the couple would give birth to another daughter, who was named Marianna. Marianna’s younger brother Franciszek was the Godfather during the baptism. On August 14th, 1866, the married couple would give birth to their son named Michał in the village of Smarglin.
By 1869, the couple still resided in the village of Smarglin. The couples oldest children were entering adulthood and Mateusz and Marianna were in their 40’s to 50’s. Although both were older, they would continue to have children. On July 25th, 1869, the couple would give birth to a son named Wawrzyniec, in the village of Smarglin. By the end of 1869, Mateusz Woźniak would pass away at age 56, in the village of Smarglin. On December 28th, 1869, Marianna Wożniak nee Tobiasz would become a widow.
On November 25th, 1874, Andrzej Woźniak would marry Marianna Jablońska in Kruszwica (4). The couple would have their place of permanent residence in the village of Smarglin, house #5. Andrzej would work as laborer and reside in multiple villages.
On November 1st, 1881, Antoni Kępski would marry Bregida Wożniak, in the village of Smarglin. NOTE: Marianna Woźniak nee Tobiasz was still alive at this time. The couple would have their place of permanent residence in the village of Smarglin, house #5. The couple would have children within the Krzywosądz Parish until Antoni passed away.
Sometime between 1881-1882, Józefa Woźniak would marry Szymon Juszczyński. The couple would have their place of permanent residence in the village of Smarglin, house #5. The couple would move throughout Powiat Nieszawa.
Before 1885, Marianna Woźniak nee Tobiasz would pass away. Another death occurred on January 10th, 1885, when Mateusz and Marianna’s daughter Marianna died, at the age of 21, in the village of Smarglin.
On October 25th, 1892, Michał Woźniak would marry Ewa Kotaś, in the village of Koszczały (5) – Bronisław Parish. The couple would have their place of permanent residence in the village of Smarglin, house #5. The couple would grow their family within the Krzywosądz Parish.
Children of Mateusz Woźniak and Marianna Tobiasz:
- Andrzej Woźniak, b. November 10, 1850, d. September 28, 1923
- Piotr Woźniak, b. January 30, 1853, d. July 28, 1858
- Józefa Woźniak, b. July 30, 1858, d. October 5, 1924
- Bregida Woźniak, b. January 31, 1861, d. unknown
- Marianna Woźniak, b. December 4, 1863, d. January 10, 1885
- Michał Woźniak, b. August 14, 1866, d. unknown
- Wawrzyniec Woźniak, b. July 27, 1869, d. unknown
- Szrubsk, Kreis Inowroclaw, Department of Bromberg, Grand Duchy of Posen, United Prussian States.
- Krotoszyn, Powiat Nieszawa, Warszawa Guberinia, Congress Kingdom of Poland
- Smarglin, Powiat Nieszawa, Warszawa Guberinia, Congress Kingdom of Poland
- Kruszwica, Kreis Kruschwitz, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich
- Koszczały, Powiat Nieszawa, Warszawa Guberinia, Vistula Land, Russian Empire
The map below is a combination of maps found on the website for Map Archive of Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny: http://english.mapywig.org/news.php. The map below is derived from the following areas: Ciechocinek and Radziejów. I used Photoshop to merge the maps into a panorama of the area where my ancestors were located. The map is not 100% aligned, but it does give a general idea of where villages were located.
The villages with “stars” are the Polish villages that are listed above under “Locations”. Only the locations of Mateusz and Marianna’s residences are marked with “stars”. The locations of their children are not marked on this map. More information for the villages within this article can be found on the Slownik Geograficzny Translations page on this website: http://www.apagr.com/slownik-geograficzny-translations/
- Search for baptism or death records between 1853-1858
- Search for all marriage records of the children of Mateusz and Marianna
- Search for the death record of Marianna Woźniak nee Tobiasz, between 1881-1885
- Search for all grandchildren of Mateusz and Marianna – utilize information gathered from Population Registers